Belfor Moving Checklist
2 Months before your scheduled move date:
- Go through your home and decide which items you want to move and start separating those items you can sell
- Sell or donate those items you want to get rid of
- Plan out your road trip or flights for the day of your move
- Decide if you will pack yourself or hire the mover to pack for you
- Separate and keep in a safe place all personal documents
Schedule the disconnection or discontinuation of utilities and services:
- Electric and/or gas. Ask about refunds.
- Telephone and/or long distance provider.
- Internet provider.
- Water softener service.
- Fuel or oil delivery.
- Garbage collection.
- Cable company, satellite T.V.
- Lawn, pool service.
- Make advance arrangements for these services in your new community.
Do your change of address:
- Credit card companies.
- Subscription magazines.
- Insurance companies.
- Investment companies.
1 month before your scheduled move:
- Fill and transfer prescription medications for family members and pets.
- Advise insurance companies of your pending move and update policies.
- Make separate shipping arrangements for pets and plants.
- Safely dispose of or give away all flammable materials (paints, paint removers, other solvents, and propane tanks). These items cannot be moved.
- Cancel club memberships.
1 week before move
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer.
- Collect all items from separate locations (office, schools, clubs, etc.) and bring home to pack and move.
- Make arrangements for child care and pet care on moving day.
- Pack items to be carried in your car and mark each carton: DO NOT MOVE.
- Prepare your Survival Kit.
- Pre-pack suitcases.
- Remove and pack bed linens in dresser drawers for convenience.
- Be available to check items on your inventory sheet as they leave your house to be loaded on the van. When all cartons and furnishings have been loaded on the van, conduct a last minute walk through. Check all closets, make sure windows are shut and locked, lights are turned off and doors are locked.
- Get copies of shipping documents.
You will need to be present to check each item or box off your inventory list as they are removed from the van and brought into your new home.
Learn more about creating an efficient moving timeline when you contact Belfor Moving & Storage. We specialize in household moving, commercial moving, specialty moving, & more!